Student Visa Canada

Visa Process

Visa is mandatory for study programs of more than six months in Canada for students. To get a visa application approved, you need to prove that you have joined in designated learning institute, have adequate funds to pay tuition fees, living cost and transportation expenses, should be a law abiding citizen with no hostile criminal records, you have to assure Canadian government that you will leave Canada once your study completes.

There are three different categories for study permit in Canada:

Student Visa

1. Student Direct Stream (SDS)

Student Direct Stream (SDS) is an application program introduced by the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) with an agenda to make the study permit application processing smoother for students from India, China, Vietnam and the Philippines. Moreover, the application of students applying under SDS will be quickly processed as compared to regular applications.

2. University

Universities in Canada offer Bachelors program, Master’s program and Doctorate programs, and few universities also offer post graduate diploma program. Each University has its individual system of application with entry requirements. Requirements for GRE/GMAT/SAT and English language proficiency tests varies from University to University. While considering the applications, overall merit of the student is taken into account.

3. General (Non SDS)

Students can apply under Non SDS visa application wherein documentation and processing will vary, for Non SDS application more detailed documents are required to prove financial capabilities and income sources. The Designated Learning Institutes (DLI) participating in SDS program are also open and available for Non SDS application. Further applications which are not applicable under SDS or University application are considered for General i.e. Non SDS application.

Get a Study Permit — Get the right documents

Proof of identity

  1. A valid passport or travel document
  2. Two recent passport-size photos. The name and date of birth of the person should be written on the back of each photo.

Proof of financial support

You can prove your financial support by showing any of the below documents.

  1. Proof of a Canadian bank account in your name, if you have transferred money to Canada
  2. Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating Canadian financial institution
  3. Proof of a student/education loan from a bank
  4. Your bank statements for the past four months
  5. A bank draft that can be converted to Canadian dollars
  6. Proof you paid tuition and housing fees
  7. A letter from the person or school giving you money or
  8. Proof of funding paid from within Canada, if you have a scholarship or are in a Canadian-funded educational program.

Letter of explanation

This letter helps the visa officer to understand you and your goals. It explains:

  1. why you want to study in Canada, and
  2. That you understand the responsibilities as a student.

Working while Studying

You and your employer must make sure you can work off-campus without a work permit before you start working.

First of all you have to get a Social Insurance Number to work in Canada.) It is a 9 digit number that the Government of Canada gives you. You need it to work in Canada. You can work 20 hours per week off campus or full time during regular breaks.

Working after you complete your study program

After you complete your study program, there are 2 ways you may be able to work full-time:

  1. you already applied for a work permit before your study permit expired
  2. you’re starting a new study program

You need to meet all the requirements listed below to work full-time. If we refuse your work or study permit application, you must stop working and leave Canada.

To know more about the process of student visa, please fill the free assessment form or contact us from our contact us page.