Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa – 491
The Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (Subclass 491). It has been commenced on 16 November 2019. The skilled Regional (provisional) (subclass 489) visa has been ceased at 11.59pm on 15 November 2019. This will affect the ability of states and territories to nominate and issue invitations for the subclass 489 visa and intending migrants to lodge EOIs (expression of Internet) and lodge applications for this visa in accordance with the information below.
Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (Subclass 491) applicants are required to secure at least 65 points in the point assessment and must obtain sponsorship from an eligible relative living in a described Regional Area of Australia or the applicant must have been selected by the participating state or territory. The applicant should have age of 45 years or less than that and should be able to signify his/her qualification of profession on the Consolidated Skilled Occupation List (CSOL).
In case applicants is getting difficulties to acquire either the need of points to be selected directly under subclass 190 or get a sponsorship from a referring live in the specified regional areas, there is one more option opens for them of having job offer letter whereby employers having successful business in the defined regional areas sponsor the applicants to come and work for them.
Thus when the applicant gets the job offer letter from the employer he/she tends to become eligible to apply under 491 which is a work visa whereby the applicant needs to work in the regional area like Northern Territory with the employer who must be actively operating business in Northern Territory after which they can apply for Permanent residency.
This type of visa is also for graduates who are aiming to pursue their further studies in Australia. If they opt to study in Northern Territory then after studies, they directly become eligible to apply for Permanent Residency.
The applicants of Australian Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (Subclass 491) must be prepared to live for five (5) years and work for at least three (3) years in a Specified Regional Area of Australia. A Skilled work Regional (provisional) visa (Subclass 491) is valid for up to 5 years and provides a pathway to permanent residence.
The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) has set specific basic requirements for people who are interested in applying in order to satisfy labor market shortages under the Skilled Migration Program.
To qualify for a Skilled Migration, applicants or their partner must be able to fulfill the basic visa requirements related to age, English language competencies, profession, skills, education, character and lastly health.
In addition to this, applicants for a Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (Subclass 491) must obtain sponsorship from a participating State or Territory and are also required to pass a point assessment test. Points can be declared in areas related to age, English language proficiencies, specific work experience, spouse skills and other bonus categories.
To be sponsored by a relative, the applicant’s relative must live in a Defined Regional Area of Australia* and either be:
- a citizen of Australia;
- a permanent resident of Australia or
- an eligible citizen of New Zealand
The applicant or their spouse must be related to their sponsor as either:
- a non-relying child – including a natural, adoptive or step-child;
- a parent – including adoptive or step-parent;
- a sibling – including adoptive or step-siblings;
- a niece or nephew – including adoptive or step-niece or nephew; or
- an aunt or uncle – including adoptive or step-aunt or uncle.
The definition of Specified Regional Area of Australia based on whether the applicant is sponsored by a reciprocal or nominated by a State or Territory government. As a general symptom, the following areas are considered regional:
- New South Wales – everywhere except Sydney;
- Northern Territory – everywhere;
- Queensland – everywhere other than the greater Brisbane area and the Gold Coast;
- South Australia – everywhere;
- Tasmania – everywhere;
- Victoria – everywhere except the Melbourne metropolitan area; and
- Western Australia – everywhere except Perth.
To be suggested by the State or Territory government, applicants must meet particular criteria, as defined by a particular State or Territory. These may include:
- The applicants must have a profession on the skills shortage list in that State or Territory; or
- The applicants should be able to display specialized skills in a particular region of that State or Territory.
Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 491) Entitlements
The Australian Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (Subclass 491) is a provisional (temporary) visa which entitles the holder and their accompanying family to live, work and study in a Specified Regional Area of Australia for up to five (5) years. This visa also provides a pathway to permanent residence but after working minimum three (3) years in Regional Area of Australia.
Features of the Sub Class 491 Visa:
- Applicants are allowed to live, work and study in a relative sponsored designated area /state sponsored regional area of Australia for a period of four (5) years.
- It provides a pathway to get permanent visa in Australia
- Applicants are allowed to apply for a permanent visa after the applicant has lived and worked for three (3) years in a designated area/regional area of Australia.
- It provides freedom to movement in specified regional area of Australia while working period which is three (3) years.
- Applicant must need to earn at least specified taxable income for each of those income years which is prescribed by the government.
- The applicants can score 15 points if sponsored by State/ Territory Government or 15 points if sponsored by an eligible relative currently living in a designated area.
- Applicants can take their prompt family members, provided they meet the requirements of health, character and English language. If that family member or spouse have just competent English then applicant gets 5 points for that and if family member has both competent English and skills assessment also, then an applicant get full 10 points for that.
- It also allows the dependents to study and work in designated areas of Australia.
- It takes quicker processing time.
- After subclass 491, places have been increased to 14,000.